I'm busting up my brain for the words

Saturday, September 6, 2014

9 - My faith

5:54 PM Posted by Linette , , No comments
I'm Linette and I'm an agnostic.
Why?
Because I think it's pretty conceited to claim we would have the slightest idea of what's going on.
We have the one side:
"But we don't claim anything, we just know in our hearts, we believe..that is faith!"
Then we have the other:
"What are you retarded? Show me proof!"

Does any one of them seem reasonable?

In my mind it goes:
A man in the sky? Really? I'm going with Epicurus on this one:

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?"

And to the other side of the coin:
Stop overestimating your own abilities. Our tiny little brains have no possible way of even being close to comprehend what is really going on. I mean it's the same as "Yeah the world's flat!" I understand the reasoning from the perspective we have today, and I am leaning more towards that, than any almighty God who gave his only son and so on.. But still, chill out, we'll all find out when our time comes.

You're all being unreasonable. The one thing we actually DO know is that we DON'T know..
Don't get me wrong, I don't care what you do. If you wanna spend every Sunday in church or if you wanna give an atheist rant on youtube, knock yourselves out. Just stop shoving your damn beliefs down my throat, I don't care.
"God bless you!" - Yeah, Santa gives his love...? What am I supposed to say? Thank you? I really don't know so I usually go with the very universal.. "uhm, ok."

Anyway, what do I believe?
As stated, I believe we do not know. I believe I am merely a human being, with no possible way of knowing which path is the right one. I can admire some people's conviction.. But what a bummer it would be to die, soul flying around aimlessly without a sight of any pearly gates.. Finally peeking through a window to heaven only to see a bearded man with 72 virgins..
"Oh crap, really, the muslims were right? Damn it..."
Or imagine the horror of expecting heaven and instead being pushed out a lady's vagina?
"Reincarnation? WTF? Ewww!"

I'm going with an open mind here, to avoid any disappointments.

Have I ever prayed? Isn't there any part of me that do believe in God?
Yes and no.

I have indeed prayed. When you feel like there is nowhere else to turn, then yeah.. It's worth a shot. Like I said, I do not know. I am also fully aware that me praying is a product of me growing up in a (somewhat) christian society. Although Sweden is one of the most secularized countries in the world, we still have a culture based largely on christian traditions. Would I have been born in Thailand, I'm pretty sure I would have gone about it differently.
So yes, some people may call me an emergency room christian, I still won't say I believe in God..
(or as my beloved cousin so brilliantly put it "You're a closet-christian!")

And, do I believe in the Bible?

No, absolutely not.
I do not believe in the garden of eden, I do not believe that some crucified dude was a son of this God-fellow.. I do not believe a single word of it actually. I do appreciate some of it. The sermon of the mount is absolutely magnificent. If we all were to take that to heart and really live it, we would have peace, we would have love, we would have mercy.
But we're assholes, so we don't. We may claim to, we may even preach it ourselves.. yet turn our backs to those in need, claim that love that goes against our cultural norm is sinful and we still slaughter each other for crying out loud. I mean wtf?

I also want to separate organized religion from faith. It is a vast difference in my eyes, and I do not care much for the former.

So, do I believe in something?

Yes, yes I kind of do. I have a hard time accepting that this would be it. That we would be it. Cause now THAT would be dissappointing.
Now what would that be? What's out there? What's the point of all this?

Well, that is anybody's best guess.



0 comments:

Post a Comment